twitter facebook instagram bloglovin tumblr google plus pinterest youtube

6/9/13

The Health Issue: Slow & Steady Wins The Race

I know you have probably heard of the idiom, "slow and steady wins the race", and have probably read the fable that the well known cliche is from. But if not then I'll refresh your memory. It is a story by Aesop titled "The Tortoise And The Hare", and the story involves a turtle who has to race a terribly fast rabbit. Well, my ability to lose weight is one of the turtle lately, and I'm okay with that because guess what? I don't know if you remember but the turtle wins the race.

June 8th marked three months of eating healthfully for me. I have been eating better (eating 3 meals a day and 2-3 healthful snacks instead of my daily 2 pints of ben & jerry's) I have been losing weight the hard way, the right way, and damn I am proud of myself for sticking with it. In three months I have lost 12 lbs.

I could have easily done a cleanse, or only ate 2 meals, or gone vegan, or any one of the plethora of fad diets that are out there, but I didn't. I did it the old fashioned way, because I am tired of losing weight and then gaining it back. I want it off, and I want it off for good!

I'm sure there are those of you who feel the same way. For me, I just can't not have a burger if I want a burger. I can't not have feta cheese if I want feta cheese. And, ohhh, if I want peanut butter, and only peanut butter, then I will eat it off the spoon!

So what does one do when they want to lose weight but not actually go on a diet? Well I knew I didn't want to restrict myself from all types of foods. I knew I wanted to still be able to go out to a restuarant an order a meal, and not feel guilty about it.

I mean go out to eat with a group of women and you will see how crazy we are!

There is the girl who: claims she hasn't eaten anything all day, but really has eaten part of a pop-tart, two chicken nuggets, a bite of someone else's fries, and a diet coke, but thinks its cool to say she hasn't eaten anything.

Then there is the girl who:  
  • can't eat carbs
  • can't eat meat
  • can only eat meat
  • can only eat carbs
  • can only eat like a caveman
  • can only eat gluten free, although she herself is not allergic to gluten.
  • can't go over her points
  • is using a calculator under the table to count her calories
  • won't have dessert but five long island ice-teas are okay.
  • will only use artificial sweeteners, but will order dessert.
  • lost 7 lbs on a three day cleanse.
  • drinks water all day...and only water.
  • skips meals.
  • eats only dessert and no real food (that used to be me).
What I am trying to say here is that a lot of us (and I am including myself in this) are crazy, straight up crazy, and we will do anything to look like what we think is beautiful, instead of accepting ourselves at the moment, and taking into account that sometimes weight loss is s-l-o-w.

Joy always looks good on you whether you've gained a little or lost a lot.

So although my weight loss has been slow it has also been steady. 12 pounds in three months averages down to a healthy loss of one pound per week. Let me tell you it wasn't always smooth sailing. But, with the understanding and acceptance that as long as I stick with it the weight I wanted to shed would eventually have to come off I have been doing great!

Of course there are those few days when you are craving something not so healthy like: salty snack mix, chocolate covered graham crackers, or pretzels with Marie's Creamy Italian Garlic Dressing, and it is okay to give into a craving once in a while. But if you're eating well chances are you won't crave that stuff that often.

So remember that when you lose weight the right way it is usually slow and steady, and that it's not really a race at all, but rather a way for you to live a longer, better, more joyful life. I mean who doesn't want to be able to enjoy their piece of finish line pie once in a while, and who doesn't want to be able to order chicken parmesan for dinner, and who doesn't want to be able to nourish their bodies? I most certainly do, and I hope you do as well!

Stay Lovely and Healthy!

D.R

Editor and Curator of

Dusk  & Rubies
                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment

blogger template